Sunday, December 2, 2007

Goodnight Norma Jean


Friday wasn't an easy day for me as I had to say goodbye to my cat of 18 years, Norma Jean. Norma was born in 1989 in our house in Sylvania where she lived the majority of her life as the princess she thought she was. She wasn't much of a cuddler until her later years. Moving down here didn't seem to bother Norma, she moved into a home with an active little boy (Ian) and the two of them took a liking to each other. Ian has always been so nice and gentle with Norma, she would let him pet her as long as he wanted.
Until Tuesday Norma was doing very well in her old age and still hollering at me everyday to feed her her "special" food, she got to eat canned food. I noticed a change in her on Tuesday and I didn't see that sweet spark in her eye. On Wednesday and Thursday she was spending her time sleeping under the Christmas tree. I took her to the vet on Friday and was told what I already knew, her body was shutting down, she was ready to go. The vet didn't know if she would make it through the night. I had her put to sleep at 5:30 on Friday evening. Aaron, Lola and I were all there with her. I held her and gave her a ton of kisses as she fell asleep. I was lucky to have such a nice kitty, she was a sweet girl and will be missed!

8 comments:

ooma said...

i'm so sorry for your loss - she was a sweet kitty and so lucky to have such a wonderful life and such a loving family - LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Norma Jean was a very sweet, spoiled, and lucky kitty.
Em, you were right to want to keep her all those years ago.
We will all miss the little princess.
Love, Mom & Chuck

Ashley O said...

Oh, I feel your pain. We had to put my cat, Ashes, to sleep when I was in 5th grade. I cried so much! I still remember driving home with him afterwards. We burried him in our yard with pictures and cat food.

You were lucky to have her for 18 years. I'm sure she'll be missed.

Julie said...

Sweet Norma Jean ... what a great little tribute to her. I know you are missing her. We love you!

Mel said...

Hi Emily...
I love reading Lola's blog..what A cutie, she looks just like her Mom :) So how is the Mommy thing going?? Ready for baby #2 :)

Sorry to hear about your kitty...Cindy just lost her dog McKinley to cancer..she is a wreck at the moment..well you know what those dogs mean to her..what a sad loss for the both of you...

well anyways, you are giving me a good read while I am enjoying my coffee!!

Take care....
Melissa Crandell

Sarah said...

So sorry about your kitty. I had a tear or two reading your sweet tribute to her (fellow cat person).

Anonymous said...

You know I feel bad about Norma Jean. These animals become so much a part of the family. I'm glad i got to hold her during our weekend visit. Sweet kitty....

Holli said...

Ooohhh Em! I am SO sorry for your loss. What a lucky kitty to have you for a mommy!