Monday, May 18, 2009

NO MORE PACI!!!!! yipppeeee!

It’s been a week now that Lola quit her pacifier cold turkey. We told her since she was a big girl we gave all of her pacifiers to Lydia. It went much better than I thought it would. We were prepared for a few nights of non-stop crying for her pacifier but that wasn’t the case. She has only asked for it twice this week and both times I reminded her that she gave all of her pacifiers to baby Lydia. She seems ok with that. It definitely hasn’t been totally easy but better than I thought. She doesn’t go down as well as she did before we quit the paci. Before quitting the pacifier she was in bed by 7pm giving kisses and laying down without a fuss. Since quitting the pacifier I’ve noticed that she is trying to extend her bedtime routine by doing a few things.

1. Repeatedly telling me that she has to go “potty” even after she just went
2. Asking for milk
3. Freaking out when story time is done

She will cry when we lay her down in her bed and say “Mommy (or Daddy) come back”. In the last week I’ve had to go up to her room 5 out of the 7 nights to hold her for another minute and give her more goodnight kisses. After that she normally falls asleep.

Lola has ever only had her pacifier in her crib or in the car. There have been a few occasions where it has come in handy while out & about. I’ve been anti the pacifier since I saw a kid (probably at Wal-Mart) walking AND taking his pacifier out of his mouth to talk to his Mom. At that point I said “NO WAY will my child EVER have a pacifier” Again, after actually having a child I’ve eaten my words however I was pretty adamant about keeping Lola’s pacifier from public view. Just me and my anal ways. I by no means judge a parent that chooses to let their kid have a pacifier until they are 4 BUT if your kid is barefoot walking around at the license bureau or the Wal-Mart store with a paci in his mouth I will probably whisper something to Aaron about lazy parenting.

Below is a rare photo of Lola with a pacifier in her mouth, you might not see the pacifier because it’s clear, my way of making it seem invisible. We were on vacation in Vermont. All of these stuffed animals filled a hill from the roadside.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my word--that stuffed animal picture is hilarious! Or adorable; I guess that adjective works too. What a great shot!

Unknown said...

Thank you Braden!

Lola's gigi said...

Jenny and Justin's wedding in VT...
It was so much fun and Lola was a very good girl.

The Daily Squink said...

Good for Lola. Just like moving Rowan to a big boy bed - for once, something was EASIER than we had feared! We won't be taking Rowan's pa's away anytime soon. With the new bed and soon-to-be-moving upheavals, I suppose we should leave him one thing that will soothe him. Well, that and his blankets.

BTW, WHEN are you going to update your profile photo? How old IS that thing!

Lola's gigi said...

Was it taken at a prom or something??

Unknown said...

That photo was taken at my cousin Steven's wedding in the summer of 2004 NOT my high school prom (1992), I had bleach blond permed hair back then Mom. Come on, you know that!

Unknown said...

Wait, maybe Steven was married the summer of 2005. I can't remember. Regardless it's a few years old so I'll change it.

Lola's gigi said...

you should be flattered, I think you look so young in that picture

Marmie said...

Angela's "fafa" and Adam's "baca" were not allowed to leave the bed, much less the bedroom. That's how I kept the pacifiers out of public view.

Jackie said...

Great job Lola - like Rowan, Brody will be keeping his for a few more months until the teething and drooling stops. Without his binki, he chews his fingers raw and drools all over his shirt. When the teeth are in, the Paci is going in the mailbox to send to a baby who needs it, then the binki fairy will put a treat in the mailbox the next day for him to get (Supper Nanny's idea). Lola must not have any teething troubles. Good job Lola!

Holli said...

Congrats Lola - you are such a big girl. I only give the paci to Teagan when rocking her to sleep - when I lay her down it comes out. She will not have it after her 1st birthday. And Em... you may want to watch the Nanny to learn the bedtime routine...
(coming from me who's kid STILL doesn't sleep through the night) haha